Thanks to about 200 Food for Friends volunteers (and of course our wonderful partners and supporters who donated food and money) the 2015 Thanksgiving serving events were a total success!! Here’s a recap of what events we held, the people we served, and the volunteers that participated.
- Nov. 25, 2015 – Pacific Garden Mission, 1458 S. Canal Street Chicago, IL. We served 800 meals to homeless men, women and children. We had about 100 volunteers. It was a special evening that ended with Culver’s frozen custard and a serenade from the women we had just served. Photos and videos are available from the event on our Facebook page. Start at 2015-Nov25 Pacific Garden mission and be sure you check out the video here.
- Nov. 26, 2015 (Thursday) – First United Methodist Church 216 E. Highland Ave. Elgin, IL 60120. Food For Friends partnered with the Salvation Army of Elgin to host dinner, serving approximately 900 meals. About 30 volunteers represented Food For Friends. Check out some of the photos at 2015-Nov26 Elgin – First United Methodist Church
- Nov. 26, 2015 (Thursday) – HELPS Ministry 6N571 Tuscola Avenue in St. Charles, IL. We served around 125 meals with 20 volunteers. For photos, head to our Facebook page at 2015-Nov26 – H.E.L.P.S.
- Nov. 26, 2015 (Thursday) – Annex Hotel, 430 South Clark, Chicago Loop. 10 Food For Friend volunteers served 150 meals to the hungry men at this hotel, which we have supported throughout this year. We did have some leftovers that went to Hopewell on the southside of Chicago.
- Nov. 26, 2015 (Thursday) – Oak Park YMCA, 255 Marion St., Oak Park, IL. 15 of our volunteers served 150 meals to the Oak Park community. Pictures available at 2015-Nov26 – Oak Park YMCA
It is amazing to think about all the people we fed in less than 24 hours at these above events. Just a fantastic achievement.
We learn this with every serving event, but there is an absolute JOY in serving others. You get a warm feeling inside, because we know the people we are serving are getting a similar warm feeling inside. It’s a very rewarding experience! Thanks to all our volunteers, partners and donators for everything you do!